Internationalization actions in relation to e-Science are analyzed in three main areas:
- The internationalization actions related to e-Infrastructures, which include the EuroHPC initiative, the GEANT Network and the European distributed computing initiative, managed by EGI.
- Actions related to the European Open Science Cloud.
- The specific actions of the scientific communities, through the ESFRI initiatives and the constitution of European Consortiums of Computing Infrastructures (European Research Infrastructure Consortium).
Internationalization Actions related to e-Infrastructures
The situation of e-Infrastructures in Spain is developed in more detail in the corresponding section. In summary, the most notable actions are:
- The EuroHPC Joint Undertaking, which aims to coordinate efforts and resources to implement a world-class European supercomputing infrastructure and an ecosystem of innovation in supercomputing technologies, applications and skills. In addition, Spain has been selected to host a EuroHPC-JU preexascale HPC system that will have an anticipated performance in excess of 150 PFlop/s.
- The GEANT network brings together European scientific and academic network providers, providing broadband connectivity and identification services for users of research centers and academic institutions, among others.
- The EGI Federation is an international electronic infrastructure created to provide advanced computing and data analysis services for research and innovation comprising hundreds of data centers and cloud providers spread across Europe and around the world. EGI is managed by the non-profit foundation EGI.eu, established in Amsterdam in 2010 under Dutch law and governed by the EGI Council, which is responsible for defining the strategic direction of the federation and acts as a supervisor. of the foundation.
- The Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe (PRACE) is established as an international not-for-profit association (aisbl) with its seat in Brussels. It has 26 member countries whose representative organisations create a pan-European supercomputing infrastructure, providing access to computing and data management resources and services for large-scale scientific and engineering applications at the highest performance level.
The EOSC initiative – European Open Science Cloud
The European Open Science Cloud (EOSC), as a virtual environment for the storage, sharing and reuse of research data, in accordance with the resolutions of the Council of the European Union of March 14, May 18 and May 29, 2018 EOSC is not a new infrastructure or software environment, but a process to make European research data more accessible through a diverse ecosystem of interconnected services and infrastructures.
The EOSC implementation model is tripartite. On the one hand, the European Commission, through the Horizon Europe Research Infrastructures program, destination 2, will finance a set of actions for the creation of policies, initiatives, services, environments and good practices in the field of research data. in open. On the other hand, the EOSC Association brings together more than 230 (as of November 2021) mostly European institutions that represent the community that builds the EOSC environment. Finally, the countries are represented through the Steering Board, an expert group with annual renewal to guarantee coordination between the commission and the member states.
The ESFRI Initiative
The European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) is an initiative to promote the creation of international thematic research infrastructures. ESFRI initiatives are described in more detail in the corresponding section of the website.
The ESFRI map includes the following thematic areas with Spanish participation:
- Energy: WindScanner, JHR, EU-SOLARIS, IFMIF-DONES.
- Environment: EMSO ERIC), EURO-ARGO ERIC, ICOS ERIC, LifeWatch ERIC, ACTRIS, DANUBIUS-RI, DiSSCo, eLTER.
- Health and Food: EATRIS ERIC, ECRIN ERIC, ELIXIR, EMBRC ERIC, ERINHA, EU-OPENSCREEN ERIC, INFRAFRONTIER, INSTRUCT ERIC, EMPHASIS, EU-IBISBA, ISBE, METROFOOD-RI, MIRRI.
- Physical Sciences and Engineering: CTA, ELT, ESRF EBS, ESS ERIC, European XFEL, HL-LHC, ILL, SKA, KM3NeT 2.0
- Social and Cultural Innovation: ESS-ERIC, SHARE-ERIC, E-RIHS
- Data, Computing and Digital Research Infrastructures: PRACE.